Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Father's love..."of course I'm going to take care of you."

The other day while I was sitting in a crowded building on campus where I'd managed to steal an outlet to work on my computer, I overheard one side of a phone conversation that made my heart melt. The man on the phone was an older gentleman, who looked to be in his sixties.

"Son," he said, "All I can tell you is to hang on, because things are going to get better eventually. They can't always be this way." There was silence for a few moments and the man seemed close to tears. Finally he spoke again. "I wish you didn't have to go through this. But I do and always will love you so much." Then they exchanged goodbyes and the man hung up and walked away.

I was touched by the whole thing -- the cute little old man and the words he spoke, but especially by the tone and the way he spoke. I was overwhelmed by how much love he had for his son and I was sitting all the way across the room.

In a way, I needed to overhear that one-sided conversation. I don't know what his son was struggling with, but as someone struggling with very real problems of my own right now, it was a reminder that I have an earthly dad and a Heavenly Father who would say the very same things to me and do anything for me in my times of trial.

Love, in my experience, is the most powerful emotion we can feel. It motivates better than fear, changes lives, saves lives, and provides more confidence and comfort than anything this world can offer. It was out of love that Jesus Christ offered himself as a sacrifice for the sins of the world. Love keeps families together and brings safety and peace. I can't speak highly enough of love. In a world overflowing with hatred and negativity, pure love -- known as charity, "the pure love of Christ" (Moroni 7:47) is the one thing that can bring happiness no matter how tough life is.

There's something very powerful about a father's love, specifically. Throughout my life I've always focused more on a mother's love, seeing as how I plan to be one someday. But I think I've neglected studying out the impact and significance of a father's love and attention on his children. Our parents have made more sacrifices for us in our lifetimes than we can even imagine -- I recognize more and more of these sacrifices as time goes on, but I know I don't even know one-tenth of the things my parents have done for me and I probably won't until I'm a parent myself and making those same sacrifices for my kids. It's easier to see a mother's sacrifices: her patience in interacting with her children cannot be appreciated enough. But fathers make sacrifices too, and they are trying in different ways. How grateful I am for a dad who worked so hard, at great cost to his health and mind, to always provide for my family so that we wouldn't have to worry about living.

Absolutely everything in my life is evidence of my Heavenly Father's love for me and all his children. Everything. From sunsets to a child's prayer to my own family to all the many mini-miracles that happen every day to make my life easier in the midst of trials. In fact, it's easier for me to recognize my Heavenly Father's loving influence when life gets tough. Like the old man on the telephone, our Heavenly Father wants to do so much for us. He doesn't want to see us in pain, or struggling. But while he can't always take away our pain and problems, he can and always will continue to love us and help us if only we turn to him and ask.

A recent experience taught me this lesson in a very powerful, personal way. It was at the beginning of my recent homeless week in Provo and I was feeling entirely alone and overwhelmed. So I said a simple little prayer from the bottom of my heart asking that somehow, everything would be okay and work out. And then a thought popped into my head, something that any parent would say. "Of course I'm going to take care of you."

Would any decent parent ignore a child's cries for help? Of course not! And as Heavenly Father is indeed our Father, I can personally promise that he will never abandon us, never give up on us, and take care of us as long as we let him, and ask him.

No comments:

Post a Comment