Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Dear Little Brother: Surviving the MTC

[note: I had the great pleasure of sending off my dear (non-biological) little brother to the MTC a few months ago. He spent two months in the MTC learning the language and then flew out to his mission. I sent him this and a few other letters per his request with some personal sibling advice about some different elements of the MTC and the mission and decided to publish these as blog posts because of how much they helped me with some of the mental and emotional recovery from returning home early. This first letter is compilation of a few letters sent over his first few weeks in the MTC]

Dear Little Brother,
I can't believe you're actually old enough (or tall enough) to be doing this. You've already gotten worlds of advice from your parents, from friends and mentors...why you keep asking me for advice, from someone who didn't even finish a "complete" mission, is sometimes a mystery to me. I'm honored, more than anything else.

So first things first, there's the last-minute tips about surviving the MTC. I'll put these in a bullet list so we can get them out of the way.
  • write up your weeklies beforehand during personal study in the journal/notes section of your regular LDS account, and then paste it into your email and send it. It'll save you soooo much time.
  • take pictures of your name tag at the temple, take district pictures, take companion pictures, take pictures with people in your zone and with your mission country's flag, if you can. Those pictures will become more valuable to you as you go on in your mission, even if it seems silly or unnecessary at the time.
  • if you struggle with low blood sugar on fast sundays, buy a candy bar or something from a vending machine before fast Sunday to have at some point during the day, because you won't get anything at all until dinner and if you have a late dinner time then you won't be feeling good at all that day.
  • take the role-playing seriously. It may seem weird to pray for investigators who are actually just actors but God wants you to be learning the principles of missionary work in the MTC and if you take the experience seriously He will make the experience real and you will receive real promptings to help your "investifakers" and there won't be anything weird or fake about it. God understands the point of the MTC.
  • remember that you are actually your most important convert, and second most important is your companion. It's because your conversion is so important that God has called you to serve where you're going at the time you are and with the people you'll serve with.

I'm so proud of you. You're on fire about this work, and frankly it's inspiring. I remember that feeling on the mission...I didn't always have it. It came and went, and some weeks/months/transfers were better than others. But you have it already and it's so strong! I think you had it long before your mission. You went in prepared, not just in the language but in spirit, and ultimately that matters worlds more than anything else. I am genuinely so proud of you and so excited for the work you will do and the people you will serve. There are less than 60 missionaries in your mission? That's incredible. For reference, my mission had about 120-150, and I remember thinking WE were small in numbers...but as long as the Lord's servants truly seek to do His will, then it really doesn't matter whether you have two missionaries or two thousand!

Have I ever shared my mission scripture with you? I feel like I probably have...sorry to be repetitive, then. It's 3 Nephi 5:13.

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life."

I still get goosebumps reading it. It always sounds like it's in all-caps when I read it in my head. There is so much power in your calling and the work that you will do wherever you are, in the MTC or in the field.

Godspeed, little brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment