Sunday, December 29, 2013

"if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work"

While it's tempting to leave the responsibility of missionary work to the missionaries, in doing that we are ignoring our calling as members! Too often I have either heard or expressed the sentiment "when I'm a missionary" followed by a list of amazing personality changes that will somehow activate upon opening the mission call. As much as us "premies" would like to believe that, I think we all secretly know it's not true. We won't be blessed out in the mission field if we don't make daily efforts to improve and develop into the person we want to be.

The following are all phrases I've said or thought at one time or another in my life to try and excuse myself from missionary work, and my responses are all things I've learned from other people's examples and advice, or personal revelation through studying the scriptures.

"I don't have a companion."

Oh, but you do! When you were baptized as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and you received the gift of the Holy Ghost, you were promised that as long as you remained worthy, you could have the constant companionship of the Spirit. When we take the sacrament, we promise to be obedient, and in return we are promised that we may "always have his Spirit to be with [us]" (Moroni 4:3).


"I don't have a mission." or "I don't have my call yet."

Yes you do! God has a hand in our lives constantly, not just in sending us on missions, and you are where you are on the Earth right now for a reason. If you will be open-minded and pray for opportunities, you will find ways to serve and share your testimony with those around you wherever you are. It may be that a coworker or classmate needs your testimony and strength, or even that a stranger needs to see your example to soften their heart. We can't know where we would be most useful, but the Spirit does. Allowing the Spirit to guide our actions will allow us to touch more lives and serve more meaningfully than we ever could on our own.

"Long before leaving our earthly home to serve a full-time mission, we left heavenly parents to fulfill our mortal mission. We have a Father in Heaven, who knows us--our strengths and weaknesses, our abilities and potential" (W. Christopher Waddell, "The Opportunity of a Lifetime").

You do have a call! You were placed on this Earth, in your family and circumstances, for a reason. There is nothing random about when you came to this Earth. You were placed where you could have experiences that would shape you into a unique individual with a unique testimony and perspective on the gospel, and you can use that to help people that maybe only you can reach.

Doctrine and Covenants 4:3 says "Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work." I don't think this verse means "If ye have desires to serve God ye shall receive a formal mission call for 18 to 24 months." If you have desires to serve, you are called to serve today. You are called to stand as a witness of God "at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death" (Mosiah 18:9).


"My family members/friends have already rejected the Church."

My parents are converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and 20+ years later, my extended family still hasn't accepted the gospel, despite our ongoing efforts to share it with them. Explaining to them that I just wasn't going to be around or very accessible for 18 months was a little hard for them to wrap their heads around, understandably. But we haven't given up trying to share it with them and include them in our beliefs whenever we can, as well as participate in reasonable discussions about our differences and similarities. It can be more nerve-wracking to bear testimony in front of close family or friends than total strangers, sometimes. Continue to stand for what you believe in, and the Lord will bless you with confidence and the companionship of the Spirit so that you will never have to feel alone even when you have to stand alone. Be willing to share your testimony if you ever find yourself in a situation that calls for it, and the Lord will bless you to know what to say. Your family members and friends may never accept the gospel in this life, but your example can be key in softening their hearts or at least making them more open-minded. One of my fears is that when I pass through the veil into the next life, I will be greeted by family members -- aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins -- who will ask me why I didn't tell them, why I didn't share what I knew and believed my whole life.

And if all efforts seem to fail, continue to pray for them, love them, and serve them.


"I'm too shy."

So was Moses. And yet, he had enough faith to overcome and do mighty miracles through the Lord! Granted, in his case, Aaron became his spokesperson -- but the Lord still provided that way for him to overcome his challenge, and He will help you overcome your challenges, too. I used to hate talking to strangers, or just public speaking in general. I still get horribly nervous bearing my testimony or giving a talk or teaching a lesson, but I can do it, and the more I do it, the more accustomed I get to it. Now is as good a time as any to practice getting out of your comfort zone, because the mission will push you and stretch you farther than you knew you could go.

Also, trust that if you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, you won't feel shy. It takes time, but little by little you'll start to notice yourself doing things you didn't think you were capable of doing before. The Lord works miracles in all of us!


"My faith/testimony isn't strong enough yet for me to share with others."

This was probably the biggest thing that kept me from even mentioning church to anyone I knew in high school. I assumed that I didn't have a testimony strong enough to share. When I came to university, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make my testimony stronger so I could share it, and I learned that I already had everything I needed. I knew that the church was true, I knew the Book of Mormon was true, I knew that I had a Heavenly Father who loved me, and I knew that all those things had made me happier than anything else in my life, comparatively. I didn't have science to back up my beliefs; but you don't need science to know what you feel is right, and bearing your testimony shouldn't be like going into a bible-bashing session or any kind of a fight. You're just sharing what's important to you. If you try and approach it that way, it'll be easier for those around you to understand what it means to you and respect you for it even if they don't agree.

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, you can have the Holy Ghost as your companion, and if you have that and you study and make honest efforts to expand and share your testimony, "it shall be given to you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say" (D&C 100:6).


"I've already prepared enough for the mission."

Until you are out in the field, you are always preparing for the mission, whether you realize it or not. If you think you're prepared enough, you may need to be working more on humility. Every time I think I'm ready, something happens to prove to me that I'm totally wrong and seriously need a change in perspective. I am confident in the knowledge that when the Lord calls me to serve, I will be ready and prepared enough to do what He wants me to. But until then, every second of my life is a second I could be spending preparing to serve.

We prepare in tons of different ways! Physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally... and beyond that, just practicing being an example and representing Christ at all times, things, and places. Motivating yourself to get out of bed in the morning is preparation for the mission. Pushing through a really difficult homework assignment is preparation for the mission. Learning to love a difficult roommate, be it a friend or family member, is preparation for the mission!


"I'm too young to do this on my own."

Nephi was most likely in his teens when he slew Laban and retrieved the plates (although this hasn't been doctrinally approved or anything, most scholars estimate he was between 14 and 25 during the events of 1 Nephi). Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." In my opinion, there should be an exclamation mark at the end of that verse, because it's so empowering! Don't worry about being too young; if you study the scriptures, pray daily, and keep the Spirit with you, you will be just fine. You are never alone in your efforts to do the right thing!


"I'm not planning on serving a full-time mission." or "I don't know if I should serve."

So you've decided that serving a mission isn't right for you? Congratulations! I came to a similar conclusion a few months ago and I thought I was quite happy with it until I realized that the reason I wasn't going was because I was scared, not because it was actually right for me to stay home. I didn't want to go because I didn't want the responsibility of sharing the gospel with total strangers away from the comforts of home for such a long period of time. Deciding not to serve a mission doesn't absolve you from your responsibility as a member to support the missionaries and share the gospel through your example and living your covenants. As members, we should all develop the desire to be missionaries and support missionary work, no matter where our life choices take us.

With some redirection from the Spirit, I realized that serving a mission was exactly what I needed to do -- despite my fears. But there is not one answer that works for everyone! Even the experiences of others can only guide you. Your decision needs to be something you feel is right for you and that's between you and the Lord, not you and your culture, your parents' expectations, or even a boyfriend (if you're a girl).


"I've made too many mistakes to be worthy enough to be called."

But that is exactly why you're here, isn't it? We all make mistakes; yes, some are more serious than others. Some of the wounds of sin can take time to fully heal, and there are usually scars left that shape us into the unique individuals we are. I don't advocate sinning just for the experience; you will get far more experience just by enduring to the end. However, there is much to be gained from experiencing the process of repentance. You will have a stronger relationship with the Lord and a greater appreciation for the Atonement. One of my best friends on a mission said that it's likely that all our weaknesses are divinely inspired, because in overcoming them we are brought closer to God and we grow stronger. Ether 12:27 says "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness that they may be humble... for if they [men] humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Trust that you can overcome and forgive yourself, and see your weaknesses for what they really are; tools to bring you closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.


I love Jacob 6:3, "How blessed are they who have labored diligently in his vineyard." We are all called to serve in the Lord's vineyard. And why do we serve in the first place? Because everything we have and are is God's, and His love for each one of us is the reason for everything we have and have access to in this life through the gospel.

This Church is true!

No comments:

Post a Comment